Thursday, February 18, 2010

Turning a new leaf

In an effort to find healthy substitutes for my regular horrible fattening foods, I have been researching options and testing them out on my loving and VERY SUPPORTIVE husband. I will be sharing recipes with you all in case you are interested. At least, you can sympathize with mu husband the next time you see him. Most of the things we have tried we have both liked. One item I tried we both hated. Here is what I made last night that was oh so good. I even took in the chips and shared them with the office, and everyone loved them.



Kale Chips:


I cut off the stems, then to the left and right of the stem, only keeping the "leafy" portion. The first time I tried this I did not do the last step and the extra stuff was chewy. I have found just keeping the leafy part (away from the stem) makes for a much better chip. I then through them in a mixing bowl and lightly coated them with olive oil. Then I coated them with pre-mixed garlic bread seasoning that was in my fridge. Many recipes I have seen call for parmesan or asiago cheese. I recommend any of the above, it adds necessary flavor to the chip. Then LIGHTLY sprinkle with sea salt (or regular salt if you are like me and still need to use up the iodized salt before springing for the course sea salt). Line them on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper. Bake at 300 to 350, depending on your oven mine is gas so I cooked it at 300) for about 10-12 minutes. Pull out when crispy. Watch them near the 10 minute mark so they do not burn. This will happen quickly.



Tomorrow I will share a recipe for roasted rutabaga.

No comments:

Post a Comment